May 3, 2008

Fat and fit no more...not me, but according to research.

One reason I run slow is that I carry a few extra pounds on my frame. However, I don't run for speed. I run for health figuring that even if I don't lose weight, at least I'll be avoiding the grim reaper for a few years (hopefully). But a recent study burst my fat but fit balloon. It found that women 45 years and older who are normal body weight (Body Mass Index less than 25) and active (burn more than 1000 calories per week which about the amount from running 10 miles per week) have less heart problems. The bottom line (no pun intended), run AND eat less.

Below: Me trying to look less fat between two flying pigs at the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon in 2002.


2 comments:

YPR said...

Now just a minute here. Are you saying that when I ran a slowish 13.5 on Saturday in preparation for Ogden in two weeks, my consumption of 4 Dr. Peppers that afternoon negated any caloric benefits?

Rats.

Unknown said...

Whatever works for you is OK with me. I don't understand the self-punishment that goes with running but that doesn't mean it isn't appropriate for others. So, just have a good time and don't expect me to come along on the runs.