December 22, 2008

Go West...


To me Christmas is Christ, family and skiing, in that order. Just about every December we travel from Illinois to Utah for Christmas. Sometimes we fly, this year we drove. We also drove last year and got stuck in Rawlins, WY due to high winds on the way out and were slowed down between Dillon and the tunnel on I-70 going home. You'd think we'd fly this year but even though we looked for reasonable airfare beginning in July, we didn't find any. So again we drove. Here's a summary:

1. Charleston schools closed on Friday morning due to an ice storm that never happened.
2. Left Charleston at 10:30 am with a goal of getting to Denver, CO that night.
3. Lesa and I listened to The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - I highly recommend it.
4. I made Lesa a little nervous when I updated our progress on Facebook using my cell phone.
5. McDonald's always seemed to be the fastest option. Lesa flirted with a cute cashier named Jace.
6. See Denver around midnight. I knew the general area where a Fairfield Inn was located and after only a few minutes of being "lost" we luckily stumble upon it.
7. Leave Denver at 7:30 am. Wind in Wyoming made me to decided to stay on I-70. I hate Wyoming's Wind. I pretty much hate wind in general but especially in Wyoming.
8. Snow flurries and snow packed roads from Georgetown to Vail. The roads weren't that bad a few other drivers were terrible. After Vail it was smooth driving (see photo below).



8. Lunch at the worst Wendy's ever in Grand Junction, CO. Should have gone to BK or Taco Bell.
9. Arrive in Riverton a little after 5:00. Polly goes wild, she's really excited to see Erin, and that alone makes the trip worth while.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Solunds like a great trip. We are glad you made it to SLC and look forward to seeing you here in Logan later this week.

johnEboy said...

Yes! We've been to that Wendy's as well and to this day laugh about how poor it was. Cold fries and promised fresh ones never delivered, messed up on Beth's sandwich twice!, soda spilled on our tray and then in turn spilled on Jack.

Tom said...

We too will never visit that Wendy's again. Slow service and about 108 dergrees inside on an early April afternoon. We ate outside in tha parking lot to stretch our legs, get out of the car and couldn't sit on the way dirty tables. Rating: 0 out of 5 Spicy Chickens.

Thanks for the deep fast turns on the back side. I'm glad you brought the snow this year. It was great to take few runs. Rating: 5 out of 5 Beavers.