April 25, 2013

My Morning Run, Papa John

Today is Dad's birthday.I like the name John. It's my dad's name. I miss my dad but I'm grateful for all he gave me. What opportunities I had growing up. What a great example he set. Geez. He was a great father. 

John is also my given name. It's the name of one of the original apostles. This morning I began a study of the Book of Revelations. I like this perspective on the book as stated in the New Testament institute manual, The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles.

"Christ’s visit to Patmos was not just a personal reaffirmation of his reality to the apostle John. It was a revelation of himself to the saints of God in one of the blackest moments of the church’s history. We who enjoy the comfort and peace of the twentieth century cannot fully fathom the comfort and courage that must have come from Patmos. We think of the book of Revelation as a mysterious, baffling work. To them it must have been glorious, for not only did it split the darkness of those terrible times with the brightness of Christ’s person, but it revealed a Savior still living, still loving, still triumphing over the power of the satanic forces. As John said in his opening words, it was “the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Towards the end of my morning run it dawned on me that the few inspirational thoughts I have usual come in the morning and that I should document them. So periodically, I will post thoughts with the title My Morning Run. This will includes thoughts from my morning scripture study, morning runs, or anything else that comes to me in the morning.

 

So, here's a picture from today's morning run. (No that is not our house but, based on the type of stone used, it was built about the same time.) Signs of spring along with a sign of 4th Street, the street I've run up and down more often that any other in Charleston. Fourth Street reminds me of Positively Fourth Street by Bob Dylan which has some pretty witty, cutting lyrics that make me chuckle. On another note, I laughed during my morning run when I heard Cake sing,

"I don't want to jump in unless this music's thumping
All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive."

I've had Cake songs on my running playlist from the beginning. When I hear these lyrics, I always picture a quaint little kitchen being over run my wild elephants. And, that makes me laugh.

No comments: