September 24, 2010

Flattened By A Glacier

Not me. I wasn't flattened by a glacier although I may run slow enough for that to happen. I'm referring to the land north of Charleston, IL. Now, nhere may not be much to Charleston except being the home of Jimmy John Sandwiches and EIU with all it's famous alumni but it is an excellent town for runners. I may have blogged about this earlier but let me illustrate one reason why. A long time ago a glacier slid southward through Illinois stopping at Charleston. I don’t know why it stopped here but my best guess was for a Jimmy John’s sandwich. Eventually, the glacier receded leaving behind a very flat terrain chuck full of corn and soy been seeds that, to this day, continue to magically spring forth corn and soy bean plants each spring. 






Last Saturday I wanted my long run on level ground so I went north of town and ran mostly on the bike trail that connects Charleston with Mattoon. The trail is a converted railroad bed build on the glacier leveled turf. I drove to the trail so I didn’t have to run any little hills along the way. (For the record, it was just past mile 4 that I was scared by the wall cloud.) You can see the elevation at the bottom of the map below.




This week I opted for a shorter long run with a few hills thrown because running up inclines is suppose to improve your speed even if you don't have any to being with, like me. Plus, if I happen to gain a few more fast twitch fibers I wouldn't mind setting a new PR at the Monumental Marathon in November. Running south into glacier-virgin territory, I followed a 14 mile out-and-back route I call Five Hills. (See its elevation at the bottom on the map below). Brett Bartlett introduced me to this run some 8 years ago and its been a favorite ever since especially in the fall when most of the route in lined with colorful autumn trees. More than once I've left my legs on these hills but it's a more scenic route than any over glacier levels grounds which sports mostly the previously mentioned corn and soy beans fields. My legs ran up all fiver hills but nearly collapse at the top of the last hill. In fact, I was tempted to walk up the last 20 yards but a woman runner was coming down the hill so I guess my legs got a boost from my fragile male ego. Compare the elevation to last weeks run.




Next long run on the schedule is an 18 miler. I think I'll head north. 



1 comment:

Tom said...

If you've said it once you've said it twice... It's all about the fast twitch fibers. Unfortunately Norda didn't share too many with her sons. Be fast(er)!!!