September 6, 2010

Labor Day

Growing up we spent many Labor Day's at Bear Lake. I think it was one Labor Day that dad crashed through the Daines' sliding glass window after seeing the boat slowly drifting away from shore. The next time, the Daine's had flower stickers covering the sliding door windows.

Labor day also signals a new year, at least for me. Summer is gone and fall and winter next in line. For me, the next six months are full of greater anticipation and excitement than the last six months. Baseball is getting serious. Football is starting. Skiing is soon to be in the air. Fall marathons waiting to be run.

This years' Labor Day celebration is a little more special. Not that I'm doing anything exciting or made any significant Labor Day resolutions. This year I'm leaving more baggage behind me in terms of my job. I'm no long the graduate coordinator. I'm back to teaching full time. I love forwarding emails full of questions and inquiries to the new coordinator. I love leaving graduate faculty meetings with no agenda items to follow-up on. Mostly, I love that the term "assessment" means so much less to me now.

Summer also had a nice closing act to it. Lucky enough to find cheap airfare from Indy to SLC, I was able to fly to Utah for a week in August. I got to spend some time with mom and dad at the Twin Pine Ranch. It was good to see dad despite the weakness cancer and its treatments have inflicted upon him. I also got to see the rest of the family with one of the best family home evenings ever! I wish Lesa and Erin could have been there but I'm also glad they let me go. It a great trip and a perfect way to celebrate the end of three years of higher education administration and frustration. (Yes, those terms are redundant.)

Now I'm looking forward to fall. First and at the top of the list, is the arrival of Clara Jane who was due to arrive on Saturday the 4th. If she's as cute as her mom says she is (and who am I doubt it?) I'm sure she'll be worth the wait. I'm also looking forward to another trip to Utah in October for Clara's blessing and the Emmett Family Fun Ultra 5K Run. November brings with it the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis and my favorite day of the year–Thanksgiving.

While life may not be fair, life is good.

No comments: