September 16, 2010

Scared Running

Dogs have scared me while running. Cars, or rather their drivers, have scared me while running. But, on Saturday I was scared as much or worse than any dog or car. The plan was to run another 16 miler in preparation for the Monumental Marathon on November, 6th. The skies were partially cloudy day but I checked the weather before I left and the radar was clear as a bell. A little wind but cool for early September so nearly perfect for running. Running east of town, I periodically looked over my shoulder to see if any storm clouds. Nothing.

I feel much different than the week previous where I couldn't stop thinking about dad. I'm still thinking about dad but more so the good things. Like skiing, water skiing, and rides in the '31 Chev. Again, I see clear skies to the west and I also see fields of corn and soy beans that have already been harvested. Autumn is arriving early most due to a very dry August. But, that's okay. I love fall. In fact, one fall 30 years ago dad did me the biggest favor ever. I had just come home from morning classes at USU. Mom and dad were in the kitchen. I don't remember all that was said except that dad gave me the best advice possible. "Jake," he told me, "there's a sale going on down at Cardon's Jeweler's. Go buy Lesa an engagement ring." It was more of a command than suggestion. That was October 8, 1980, the day I asked Lesa to marry me. It is without doubt the best decision I have ever made and the best advice I have ever followed.

Almost as a reflex, I look over my right shoulder to check the weather. As my head turns towards the northeast I see something very similar to this...

Now, when you are expecting, for the fourth or fifth time to see clear skies but turn and see a black wall cloud instead, you get scared. At least I did. Without a heart rate monitor I could feel my heart rate sore. It might as well be a rapid pit bull or a drunken driver baring down on me. I was at least 2-3 miles from town with only a few random farm houses nearby enough to run to. The storm was heading southeast and I was "running" eastward. I don't know how fast storms fly but this one was obviously going faster than my 10 minute per mile pace. Should try to run east and hope the storm passes below me or, at the upcoming intersection, turn south praying the storm will go above me? I see a small metal shed to the south so I figure I run that direction even though I don't see any protective overhangs on the shed. Hopefully, I think, just standing on the east side will protect me from the wind. Other than that, I only had the brim of my running hat to hid under. At this point I was running a little scared.

(Here are Gegorgy Hines and Billy Crystal in Running Scared, a semi-entertaining 1980's Beverly Hill's Cop wannabe buddy-buddy cob movie set in Chicago and Key West)

I've been caught in rain storms before and don't mind them particularly if it's a warm day. Well, it was warm but I could feel the temperatures dropping as the storm approached but my biggest fear was getting blown to Terre Haute. And, if you've ever been to Terre Haute, IN you'd understand my fear. A farmer approaches in his truck and I think about stopping them and asking for a ride but then I'll get a lecture about running and how dumb it is and that I should be doing something more productive with my energy like milking cows. I decided to keep running and deal with the consequences. At least, it will give me something to blog about. 

I turn south and with the storm nearly overhead brace for impact. At worst, the road is lined with a ditch perfectly made for tornado protection. The ski darkens and the wind gets colder but that's it. A few minutes more and the darkest clouds have passed without a single rain drop and wind that was not match for my 174 pound frame. Wow, I couldn't believe it. Just like most dogs, that wall clouds' bark was bigger than it's bite. 

4 comments:

Lesa said...

October 8th, 1980 was a pretty great day for me too! The best decision I made was too say yes!

Jake said...

Lesa was so hopped up on cold medication she yes just so I would take her home. I'm just glad she stuck to her word and has stayed with me for nearly 30 years.

Ben said...

Ha! I love that story of your engagement. I think Courtney would have appreciated you or someone telling me that a month or two before I proposed, but I'm glad she was patient... and still is patient with me.

Tom said...

A true romance novel in the making. "Romancing the Run", "Back to the Engagement", or maybe "The Runners Bride" true love... At any rate, glad you made it back safe but more glad you hooked up with Lesa.