November 22, 2011

Not Enough Hay In The Barn

One day while talking to Tom Woodall, a retired cross country coach, about training for marathons he stated that what training you do the few weeks before the marathon are not that critical since "the hey is in the barn." With my last few marathons, my concern has been getting enough hay into the barn to begin with.

A while back I promised myself when I registered for the Tecumseh marathon that I would train hard and be ready by December 3. Ten days away and that promise was broken weeks ago. I got a 19 or 20 mile run in sometime in October but no long runs of any significance since. I have done some hill work but there's 26.2 miles of hills and I could use more endurance. I was going to get a long run in on November 12th but it was REALLY windy so I settled for 14 hilly miles thinking I'd be able to get in a 20 miler next Thursday morning before I leave for a conference. But, nope, that didn't work out nor did the following Saturday. Too much imaginary stress and not enough sleep. Monday morning Erin and I helped deliver food to the needy for the Charleston Firefighters so today was my last chance. But, between the wind and rain, I had to cut things short. So rather than feeling strong with 10 days to go until the marathon I'm wondering if I'm up to 26.2 miles of "over the river and through the woods"? There's nothing I can do now, I can't but anymore hay into the barn. 

13.2 miles....

...in this.

2 comments:

Your Pal Roland said...

As a veteran of running ill-preparedness in both road and trail runs, I've heard tell from a variety of runners that instinct often trumps knowledge. Not sure how that applies here, but good luck regardless, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Molly Seawright said...

I'm gonna go with what Bill said. If you think it sound like a good idea, I know you can do it. "You'll never regret getting up and running. You will regret staying home and eating a whole bowl of cookie dough..." Maybe that quote just came from my own subconscious. But, you'll make me proud either way, pops!